Monday, January 7, 2008

Why Derm Is Out

I had a doctor's appointment today. I'm always interested a doctor's "style" and interview techniques. In med school, we spend 4 years learning our trade, which mainly consists of getting a patient's history, conducting a physical exam, and then using our basic science knowledge to give the patient a diagnosis.

One of the things that has been stressed to us from the very beginning is take a full and complete history. Often times, this will be the key to the diagnosis. However, the more I get out in the real world, the more I see this really doesn't happen. I know everyone cuts corners and tries to save time, but I was pretty shocked today.

The doctor walked into the room and started the physical. Didn't ask me one question. I couldn't decide if it was her ADD or I was just an "easy" case. I decided it was the ADD after she gave me some free samples of a prescription foam, told me to stick out my hand, and proceeded to spray it all over my hand, shirt, and pants. Umm....I know what a foam is.....thanks.

I have a the dreaded standardized patient tomorrow afternoon, where we are fake doctors interviewing a fake patient on video. Though it's a case of chest pain, I'm considering taking in my foam to give it a whorl on him. Can you imagine that video?

2 comments:

Ms. Mayhem said...

So glad you are "back" and will be adding you to my "everyday I read"!

Missy said...

I knew a girl who went to a GYN who pretended to pull a spider out of her. Oh yes he did. And another friend had a GYN tell her she needed to be on birth control, what with her "Playboy body" and all.

I think you should do that!!