Thursday, March 20, 2008

Match Day Mishap

Match Day is an exciting day for any 4th year medical student. Students across the country open an envelope in front of their medical school class and families and proudly announce where they will be doing their residency training. It's exciting to see the tears, hear the shouts of joy, and know....someday.... I'll be up there too.

Today, I sold yearbooks before our Match Day to the graduating seniors. Since I was down there, I watched most of the ceremony. All the letters are in a box, so students are picked randomly to come up and announce their match. Some bring up their families or children to celebrate on stage. It was really fun to watch.

Afterwards I went back out to finish up the sales. Two head honcho deans came out and started talking to a lady that works in the SOM next to me. Apparently one letter was missing. A girl matched, but didn't have her named called. BIG whoops there. She was super happy with her placement but was bawling since she didn't get to read it off. I completely understand. She worked hard for 4 years and didn't get the satisfaction in the end. I'd make everyone come back into the auditorium!

Great, now something ELSE totally unnecessary to stress over for the next 5 years.

No comments: