Thursday, January 31, 2008

Dressing Up

I HATE dressing up. You'd think after two years of having to dress up on a weekly basis I'd be used to it. But, I'm not. I'd much prefer to wear jeans and a teeshirt and look unpresentable.

I even go so far as to try to plan the my "dress-up" appointments so they fall on the same day, thereby minimizing the number of times I have to wear uncomfortable clothes. I should really just accept the fact that dressing up is...well...the rest of my life and get over it.

Yesterday I had my Standardized Patient and I worked a Jaydoc, a free clinic run by KU medical students (good planning, huh?). I usually bring my dress clothes along with me and change right before. I should never do this. I invariably forget something. Yesterday, I forgot my socks.

One thing I hate worse than dressing up is wearing dress shoes without socks. I look presentable from head to ankle and then it all goes to hell with my pasty, dry-skin ankles. At 5, when I had to walk out to my car, I considered putting on my tennis shoes to attempt to spare some of the pain from the already-forming blisters on my feet. Then the shocking horror of the older women that power walk into work every morning with their polyester black pants or long skirts and blindingly white Reebok walkers hit me. Yes, I decided suffering would be much better than that picture. Plus, it would be my luck I would see every semi-important person in the parking lot.

So I've learned my lesson. I'm going to start wearing my dress clothes instead of packing them.

No comments: