Sunday, February 10, 2008

JayDoc-ing

I had my first real experience of actually feeling like I really help somebody working at the free clinic. Sure, I pass out antibiotics and do physicals and the people are always appreciative, but on Wednesday, I really feel like a made a difference.

An older man with diabetes came into the clinic because he had been out of insulin for a week. After taking his history, I started with my physical exam. He denied any of the major complications of diabetes, such as changes in vision, numbness or tingling in the feet, or chest pain. Everything checked out normal and then I told him to take off his shoes so I could take a look at his feet. He was reluctant to do so. Once he took off his socks, I found out why. He had a major injury to his big toe. It looked horrible, smelled infected, and was obviously spreading up his leg. After I got some labs drawn and his blood sugar was about 3 times what it should be, I knew we were even more in trouble. The doctor agreed that the situation was very serious between his high sugar and seriously infected toe. We sent him straight to the ER. I haven't heard what happened to him. I hope everything worked out for him, though.

I was really relieved I didn't assume everything was normal like the patient wanted me to believe and only do a cursory exam. Really, if I hadn't insisted, he would have walked out with a festering infection and there could have been really horrible consequences.

Times like these really help me get through all the studying and the other headaches that come with medical school. It reminds me about what's really important.

1 comment:

"The Rob" said...

Like that bastion of wisdom, Ice Cube said in "Higher Learning","Are you in it for the money, or the knowledge?" It is fulfilling to feel accomplished. "Job well done, faithful servant." Another wise man, but I can't quite recall his name.... maybe it was Ice-Water...hmmm