Saturday, April 5, 2008

Planes, Trains, and Automobiles

Goodbye SkyBus!

The airline that flew me from Kansas City to Columbus for cheap, cheap, cheap canceled the rest of their flights and is shutting down. I really didn't enjoy the seven children with portable DVD players without headphones within two rows of me on multiple flights. But sitting next to two lesbians on one side sharing their coming-out-of-the-closet stories and a clearly Mennonite women on the other side of me within close ear shot made for an interesting ride. I guess it's back to the boring old business men on standard airlines. When they talk about their jobs, I have no reference to what a consultant for an investment firm actually does so I just nod my head nicely and look entertained.


Nancy Grace

Oh man, Nancy Grace on her appropriately named television
show said, "Yes, I hate when that happens when I mix my methamphetamine formula in the bottle instead of the baby formula." Classic. Only 98% of me hates her now after that comment. At least that show I didn't wish death on her.

Diners, Drive-ins, and Dives


It's a show on the Food Network that my Dad got me interested in. He saw a feature of a 39th Street Mama's in Kansas City and wanted to try out the food when they were in town. I popped on the website and they're asking for suggestions from the audience about places they should feature. I sent off an email suggesting the Canteen Lunch in the Alley in Ottumwa, Iowa.

The Canteen has the greatest loose meat sandwiches EVER. When we're back in town, I almost always stop into grab one. It's like walking back into the 1940's. They have bar-style seating for 17 around the vat of cooking meat in the center. I always order a cheese ketchup, while Anthony gets a cheese everything.

I think it's got a great history, too. Presidential candidates always stop in there during the Iowa caucus time. Tom Arnold, who was married to Roseanne Barr, is originally from Ottumwa. The restaurant from Roseanne is actually modeled after the Canteen. A few years ago, the downtown was undergoing some revitalization. A new parking garage was slated to be built where the Canteen sat. They were going to have to build a new building, which had the community up in arms. They reached a compromise. The Canteen would stay and the parking garage would be built around it as you can see from the picture. It's a strange site, but I'm glad they left it intact.

So who knows, you might see the me and the Canteen on the next episode with Guy!

No comments: